Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Be gentle to your bodies

Dear Girls, 

At work yesterday, a woman  in her 50’s was showing a lady and I a beautiful photo of herself in a swim suit when she was in her late 20’s. Looking down at the photo she was smiling, but it wasn’t a happy smile, it was sort of sad, maybe a little on the fond side. 

She said "I remember when this photo was taken, I remember thinking how absolutely fat I looked." She continued "God I looked amazing. I didn’t see it then. I only see it now. My daughter freaked when she saw it, ‘Mom you were so hot!’ I was. I was hot. And I didn’t feel it. I didn’t see it.” 


I was having a hard time trying to keep myself together, really. Her expression was so genuine. For a brief moment I couldn’t bare to feel what she must have been feeling right then. Wishing she was kinder to herself. Gentler. I was .. stunned. 


It really stuck with me.  It’ll stick with me forever. It’s frightening what we can’t see in ourselves that others can.

Be gentle to your bodies. 

Love Always, 
Seema Sammy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment