Saturday, October 10, 2015

Stop Being Cruel To Kids


Dear Girls, 

 It’s a shame how hard society is on children and teenagers who are the most fragile and susceptible to developing body image issues and mental disorders. Upon seeing a picture of myself at 16 today, I realized just how average and thin (compared to now) I was.

Now I was never skinny, but I was very, very average. Yet people, adults and peers alike, were good at reminding me that I was not skinny. I was constantly reminded that I was on the larger side, constantly told how “worried” they were about me, constantly being put down and called cruel things by some classmates, and even sometimes by family.

I see pictures of myself from back then and god do I wish that I had the body positivity that I have now. I’m twice the size I was then and I’m happier with myself than I ever dreamed I could be.
And in being happier, I’m making healthier choices in order to better myself, instead of punishing myself. There was never anything wrong with me, but I was told so often that I was unhealthy and unappealing that I was never happy.

Why on earth would people be so cruel to kids? Please reinforce to your (current and/or future) children that they are beautiful. That there is never anything wrong with them or with nourishing their body. Teach them to be kind to others. Teach them healthy habits - mental health included - and do not raise them to believe that they are worth anything less than the entire world.

Have a fantastic Saturday my loves.

Love Always,
Seema Sammy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment